Frequently Asked Questions


How do I renew my membership?
You can renew your membership at the School of Kinesiology Outreach Office in person or by phone: 604-822-0207. Every year members are required to update paperwork- including member agreement, waiver and a doctor’s note if there has been a change in your health. If health status has changed, please book an intake with one of our lead exercise health assessors.

How can I gain access to a locker?
BodyWorks offers day use lockers in the facility for small items i.e. wallet, phone, and keys. Day-Use lockers are available if bring your own lock.  you can also rent a locker at Osborne Centre for a small fee. Please contact the School of Kinesiology Outreach Office at 604-822-0207 for more information and to check availability.

When is a Medical Referral Form required and why?
A Medical Referral Form from your healthcare practitioner is required in order for your Personal Trainer or group exercise facilitator to create the safest and most effective exercise program for you. A Referral Form is required for new members interested in attending Changing Aging classes. An updated Referral Form is necessary when a current member’s health has changed.

When is an Intake Appointment required and why?
An intake appointment is required for anyone age 65+ who is in enrolling in Changing Aging program fitness classes for the first time or if a current attendees’ health has changed.  Intake appointments are highly recommended for anyone who have health concerns who plan on participating in our programs.  These appointments assess an individual’s readiness to participate in our various exercise programs and services by reviewing health status and functional mobility.  Specific recommendations are provided to ensure safety during classes such as exercise modifications and exercise intensity.


Who receives a discount on memberships or classes?

  • UNA Discount: all fitness classes (15% off for Changing Aging classes and 10% for all others)
  • UBC Staff and Faculty Discount: 10% off Basic BodyWorks memberships
  • Faculty/Staff/Emeriti from the UBC Faculty of Education: 50% discount on Basic BodyWorks memberships
  • School of Kinesiology grad students: 50% discount on Basic BodyWorks memberships
  • Active Kids Parents: 10% off Basic BodyWorks Punch Passes

Fitness Classes

Does access to fitness classes come with any of the memberships?
No.  Classes must be purchased separately. Prices for classes can be found in our brochure.

Personal Training

What does a Fitness Assessment involve?
A fitness assessment includes a basic assessment of your current health, a review of your medical history and an assessment of your current fitness level.  Every personal trainer administrates their own testing and protocols but in general you can expect a variety of the following tests: submaximal aerobic test on a stationary bike, balance test, upper and lower body strength, endurance tests and a movement analysis. The movement analysis will identify weaknesses and imbalances in the muscles supporting your major joints. The analysis involves several basic movements used in daily living.

How do I prepare for a Fitness Assessment?

  1. Wear loose, comfortable clothing and running shoes.
  2. Avoid food, alcohol, caffeine and tobacco products 3 hours prior to the test.
  3. Avoid exercise/physical activity on the day of the test.

If for any reason you are unable to attend any of the scheduled meetings, your Personal Trainer will require a minimum 24 hour cancellation notice.  Cancellations without notice are subject to charge.

How and when will the Personal Trainer contact me?
Your Personal Trainer will call or email you within 5 business days of your registration.

How is my Personal Trainer chosen?
Your Personal Trainer is selected based on your needs outlined in your Health and Lifestyle Form and ParQ+. Factors that influence whether we can assign you to a specific trainer are: your availability and theirs, whether or not the Personal Trainer has the capacity to take on a new client, and whether the trainer has the experience and training to accommodate your specific goals.

What qualifications do the Personal Trainers have?
All Personal Trainers have Emergency First Aid, CPR with Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) training.  Personal Trainers have at least one, if not more, Personal Training certifications from one of the following organizations:  American College of Sports Medicine, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology, National Strength and Conditioning Association, and the British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association.   Some of our trainers also have additional training beyond what a Personal Trainer at other fitness centres have, such as the Functional Movement Systems™ (FMS) movement screening certification.